Valdraws

April 3 - April 9: this week at Valdraws

The flu! Yes, the entire family had it, so I haven't done much this week. I did get shipping supplies for the notebooks I'm making for my Etsy shop, but I thought it best not to do any cutting/punching/binding in my flu-induced stupor, so I haven't made the notebooks yet.

I worked on this series of spots a little bit:

and decided to revisit some of the SVS lessons I haven't looked at in a while. Sometimes I feel like I'm regressing, so I think it's a good idea to review and brush up by working through some of the workbook assignments that go with the lessons.

Not a terribly productive week, but I'm sure once the flu-fog clears, things will improve! See you next week!

March 28 - April 2: this week at Valdraws

I didn't do a ton of drawing this week, but I did change my little monster yet again to make him less eggplanty:

Now he looks like a fat pickle.

Now he looks like a fat pickle.

I worked on the companion piece, which is three little spot illustrations:

I like the look of the unfinished monster with the pencil sketch showing, so I think going forward I'm going to experiment with leaving more of my initial sketch visible in the finished art.

I had planned to work more on these spots this weekend, but I got five orders in three days in my Etsy shop and got inspired to work on the notebooks I've had in the works for months. I got the covers printed and laminated and printed a bunch of lined paper for the insides. Hopefully, I will get the rest of the cutting and binding done next weekend, take photos the following weekend, and get the notebooks, and my mugs, listed the weekend after that.

I also signed up for a Dribbble account and uploaded a few "shots" as they call them. I've also been stalking my web stats obsessively since my postcards went out. Gotta stop that.

That was my week in a nutshell. See you next week!

March 21 - March 27: this week at Valdraws

This week I gave my little monster a bit of hair and some horns. He seemed like such an amorphous lump and I decided he needed a little more character. I had tried to keep him simple so his feet would stand out, but he needed more character so he didn't look like a green eggplant:

Green eggplants.

Green eggplants.

My monster looking slightly less like the aforementioned green eggplants.

My monster looking slightly less like the aforementioned green eggplants.

I also did a little more sculpting of models. I got some armature wire and built a simple armature for a revised monster sculpture:

and smooshed together six kneaded erasers and started a crude sculpture of my monkey knight:

Messy, but considering my fingers were my only tools, not too bad.

Messy, but considering my fingers were my only tools, not too bad.

I also worked on adding value to this piece:

and I worked on another manuscript and dummy. I've got four different stories in various stages and I keep going back and forth trying to decide which I should give my time to right now. There just aren't enough hours in the day for everything I want to do. I seriously need a time machine.

I got my postcard on Friday, the one that was part of the mailing of 150+ cards I sent to the names on my mailing list. My fingers are crossed that that I get a little bit of traffic to my site from it. I'm not expecting to get work from one mailing, but I hope people like it enough to want to see more.

That's about it for this week. See you next week!

This week...

I finally finished this piece... I think...

The monster got a lot darker, so I may go back and brighten him up a bit.

I also got my sample postcard. It was WAY too dark, so I lightened the image and I'm trying again. Thank goodness you can buy single postcards from Amazing Mail for less than $1.50.

I finished cleaning up my existing mailing list and ended up with 158 names to send postcards to and another 10 or so to email. Once I get the postcard image printed the way I want, I'll send those out.

And I worked on really rough sketches for the mixed-up fairy tale that my daughter helped me storyboard:

And that's about it for this week. See you next week, same bat time, same bat channel!

Another week closer to death

Oh, alright, I did a little more than just get seven days older this week, but I'm feeling extra curmudgeonly today. Anyway, this week I didn't spend a ton of time on finished art, but I did work some more on this piece. Right now I hate the monster's feet, but I'll figure it out:

I did super rough sketches for the first couple spreads for one of my picture book dummies:

and I designed a monkey in shining armor for yet another picture book I've got in the works:

I also finished adding names to my mailing list so now I have to go back and try to figure out if there are any old ones that I need to get rid of. Also worked a bit on my postcard. Waffling on the logo/name/text right now, and of course agonizing over my choice of images:

There's some weirdness going on around the image on the back, but I'll fix that before printing.

There's some weirdness going on around the image on the back, but I'll fix that before printing.

And now I have to go help save a child whose day is ruined because she spilled almond milk on her taco. See you next week!