digital painting

March 14 - 20: this week at valdraws

Here's what I did this week:

I finally sent my postcard out into the world; it drops tomorrow. I hope it gets a good reception. 

I also decided to revisit this piece:

I'm still working on it; I just wasn't satisfied with the monster, especially his mouth (his face felt really flat) and his feet. I wanted to change the position of this feet but I was having trouble visualizing them, so I got out a block of modeling clay I've had lying around for ages, and made this (don't laugh):

Okay, you can laugh. As rough as it is, it was still pretty helpful in getting the new position of the feet blocked in. I want to make more models in the future, so I ordered some armature wire in the hopes I can make some that are poseable. We'll see.

I also worked on sketches for Once Upon A Mixed-Up Time (I'm a very messy sketcher), and got the text all typed up and almost completely polished:

Last but not least, I bought a new book called The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books by  Linda Ashman. I haven't finished it yet, but it's very good so far. Very clear, with straightforward, actionable advice on writing and improving picture book manuscripts.

And that's it for this week!

This week...

I finally finished this piece... I think...

The monster got a lot darker, so I may go back and brighten him up a bit.

I also got my sample postcard. It was WAY too dark, so I lightened the image and I'm trying again. Thank goodness you can buy single postcards from Amazing Mail for less than $1.50.

I finished cleaning up my existing mailing list and ended up with 158 names to send postcards to and another 10 or so to email. Once I get the postcard image printed the way I want, I'll send those out.

And I worked on really rough sketches for the mixed-up fairy tale that my daughter helped me storyboard:

And that's about it for this week. See you next week, same bat time, same bat channel!

Another week closer to death

Oh, alright, I did a little more than just get seven days older this week, but I'm feeling extra curmudgeonly today. Anyway, this week I didn't spend a ton of time on finished art, but I did work some more on this piece. Right now I hate the monster's feet, but I'll figure it out:

I did super rough sketches for the first couple spreads for one of my picture book dummies:

and I designed a monkey in shining armor for yet another picture book I've got in the works:

I also finished adding names to my mailing list so now I have to go back and try to figure out if there are any old ones that I need to get rid of. Also worked a bit on my postcard. Waffling on the logo/name/text right now, and of course agonizing over my choice of images:

There's some weirdness going on around the image on the back, but I'll fix that before printing.

There's some weirdness going on around the image on the back, but I'll fix that before printing.

And now I have to go help save a child whose day is ruined because she spilled almond milk on her taco. See you next week!